Note: Affiliate links are used which means I receive a small percentage of sales made by them, this helps support my blog and channel.
Hey my little fishes! Today I have five tips to help you open your eyes underwater!
1. Small steps. Opening your eyes underwater will feel a bit strange at first, it isn't painful so much as it's just plain weird. So start small! Open your eyes for a second as if you are blinking. Doing it as if you are squinting a little bit helps too.
2. Keep eye drops on hand. The experience can be a little unpleasant at first and having drops on hand can help ease any discomfort. I continue to use eye drops to this day because I swim so much and it can be a real relief after being in the water for a while.
3. Stay in the shallow end. Just in case you get a bit panicked, stay in the shallow end. It's easier to just quickly dunk your head under, open your eyes and come right back up again without worrying about treading water.
4. Help yourself to relax by doing breathing exercises before attempting to open your eyes underwater. Then, put your head under and count down from 5 and open your eyes quick and then close them again just to get the feel of it.
5. Be patient with yourself. It gets easier with time and practice so please remember to be kind to yourself and don't let it become a negative experience. Celebrate your small victories and remember to always end on a high note if you can.
Now some precautions!
1. Chlorine is not good for your eyes. Public pools can be icky places so open your eyes at your own discretion, I am not responsible for any injuries or damages.
2. I lost my vision for four hours once and the stinging and pain was horrific. Be sure to stop as soon as you feel you need to. Don't overdo it!
3. I only really keep my eyes open if I am interacting with the camera or kids. I will briefly open them to see where I am going then I close them again right away. If you are worried about crashing I suggest keeping one or both arms in front of you while swimming.
Thank you so much for watching and I look forward to seeing you all in my next video!
Live life SO MERMAID!
Hey my fishes and welcome to my mermaid blog!
I'm your everyday mermaid from Vancouver, Canada on a mission to live my life #soMERMAID and sharing with you my tips, tricks, and adventures as I go!
More about my story here.